Monday, October 21, 2013

This Week in the Field... (Up to date (10/21/13))

This week has been pretty hectic. I was feeling so down! I think that because I was trying to be the best missionary I could be and forget about myself and how I was feeling, I ended up getting sick! I almost never get sick! But I was just swallowing all of the anxiety and emotions that it affected my health negatively. I just didn't want to think about myself because that's not what missionary work is about! Forget about yourself and go to work, right?! But one evening on the drive back home Hermana Dotto and I were just talking and I just exploded in tears. Hermana said she would have never guessed about how I was feeling because I never showed it, so I felt like I had accomplished my goal but at the same time, I realized that it's healthy to show emotion once in a while so it doesn't accumulate inside of you. I think I'm going to get a priesthood blessing. :)
It was precisely that evening that I recieved the package and letters from home. What great medicine!!!! It was just what I needed.
So about food, they serve me Mexican food pretty much everyday and it is awesome! Unfortunately, that also means that I am slowly but surely gaining weight! We went to the Luna's one Sunday to have dinner, and they served me menudo. It is this soup they make out of a cow's insides. I am not a picky eater and like almost anything anyone serves me. But menudo was the NASTIEST thing I have ever eating. It tasted so terrible; I was so traumatized that the smell of it would follow me for days. Not about that life haha.
On Saturday we went to go play volleyball with the members and investigators. Not about that life either haha. I am TERRIBLE at sports, and volleyball has always been a sport that I have hated with a passion. But hey, I'm a missionary now so I had to forget about my insecurities and fears and go with it. It wasn't that bad! Besides the fleeting moments I felt death, I was actually pretty good at hitting the ball when it was close to hurting me haha. It actually ended up being kinda fun! :)
Friday night is la Noche de Hispanidad/Noche de Talentos! It is going to be a multi-stake thing with our ward and other Spanish wards participating. Ahhhhh, makes me think of Spring Lake! I will bring my Ecuador jersey to pin up!
They asked us (missionaries in our district) to do something. We have no idea what we are going to do :) It seems that as a missionary, we are limited in only singing hyms haha.
We got together as a district and wrote down the upcoming activities in our ward. Our ward will be having a New Year's dance, ahhhh so jealous we can't participate! One of the leaders was saying that it is programed to begin at 8 but with the idea that people will get there at 9 or 10. Ohhh Spanish wards. Gotta love them!
We went to an investigator's home and Prince Royce was on tv...all I wanted to do was run out of that apartment because I was about to start singing and dancing! hahaha love Hispanic music.
We are seeing progress in our investigators. One of them is a mother with 3 children ages 9, 6, and 5. We began to teach them this week, and could see the enthusiasm of the children as they learned more about the gospel. On Friday we invited them to come to church, and we told the mother she could follow us in her car so she wouldn't get lost. On Sunday we thought she had forgotten, but to our suprise, she and her three children were all dressed up to go to church and were getting in their car! She told us that her children were the ones that kept reminding her of going! When we sat in Sacrament Meeting, the children were all being reverent and paying attention. The whole family stayed the full 3 hours and the mother seemed to have liked a lot of the things that were being taught. I learned from this that children are very receptive to the Spirit. Every time we taught them a lesson, the children seemed to get most of it and pulled their mom along with them. They loved church and hopefully they will be able to go next week!

Sister Dotto is great, I learn so much from her everyday! We are working hard and are unified in purpose.
This work is God's work, and we strive to do our best everyday.
It may be hard, but so worth it. I love being a missionary. I have to enjoy every second of it!
 
 
P.S. Yesterday we went to knock doors in some apartments. A young man (who looked like he had been smoking something) opened his door and when we presented ourselves he just said no and closed the door. We turned around and knocked on the door in front of his. This guy who had closed his door on us began to speak behind his door in a reallyyyy creepy voice, almost a whisper, saying, "there is no God" and then banged on the door pretty loudly! The first time, we just ignored it and Hermana Dotto started to hum a hym to try to keep the Spirit with us. But he kept getting creepier and louder and started to bang on the door more frequently. Hermana Dotto and I just looked at each other and ran out of that building! Mad creepy!


Con amor,
Hermana Flores

No comments:

Post a Comment